Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer.
Butalbital is in a group of drugs called barbiturates. It relaxes muscle contractions involved in a tension headache.
Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It relaxes muscle contractions in blood vessels to improve blood flow.
Acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine is a combination medicine used to treat tension headaches that are caused by muscle contractions.
This combination medication is used to treat tension headaches. Acetaminophen helps to decrease the pain from the headache. Caffeine helps increase the effects of acetaminophen. Butalbital is a sedative that helps to decrease anxiety and cause sleepiness and relaxation.
Acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Fioricet Side Effects
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:
- Confusion (mild)
- mental depression
- unusual excitement (mild)
- Bleeding or crusting sores on the lips
- chest pain
- fever with or without chills
- hive-like swellings on the eyelids, face, lips, or tongue
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- muscle cramps or pain
- red, thickened, or scaly skin
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth
- swollen or painful glands
- tightness in the chest
- troubled breathing
Incidence not known
- darkening of the skin
- difficulty with swallowing
- loss of appetite
- overactive reflexes
- poor coordination
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- talking or acting with excitement you cannot control
- trembling or shaking
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur:
Symptoms of overdose
- Anxiety (severe)
- cold and clammy skin
- confusion (severe)
- dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, or weakness (severe)
- excitement (severe)
- increased sleepiness in babies (more than usual)
- increased sweating
- irritability (severe)
- limpness (in babies)
- restlessness (severe)
- slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat
- slurred speech
- stomach cramps or pain
- swelling, pain, or tenderness in the upper abdomen or stomach area
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- trouble sleeping (severe)
- unusually slow or troubled breathing
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them: